Loaded Potato Egg Rolls
Forget simply reheating your leftover mashed potatoes, reinvent them by loading them up with cheese, bacon and green onions and stuffing them into a crispy egg roll! Oh yes, I did!
Hey, y'all! One of my favorite things to do is talk food with my mom. She has a long history with food, and I don't just mean eating it. She graduated from culinary school and has been in the restaurant business for as long as I can remember.
We love bouncing off different dish ideas with each other. A couple of weekends ago, we started playing with different egg roll recipes. We whipped up egg rolls two ways for football Sunday. Mom made a Thanksgiving Egg Roll jam-packed with turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing served with a cranberry dipping sauce. I took my egg roll in another non-traditional direction- a Loaded Potato Egg Roll packed with mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions served with homemade ranch dressing.
Yes, that just happened! Potatoes just became a finger food!
2 cups of mashed potatoes, prepared and cooled (I used leftovers!)
6 slices of bacon, prepared and chopped
2 green onions, sliced thin
4 sticks of cheddar cheese, sliced in half
8 - 10 egg roll wrappers
1. Preheat oil to 350 degrees. 2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine mashed potatoes, bacon and onions. Mix until well combined.
3. Add one egg to the potato mixture. Stir. 4. Place a piece of cheddar cheese on each egg roll. Scoop a small amount of potato mixture into the center of each egg roll wrapper.
5. Roll your egg rolls. Wet your fingers with a little bit of water and run your wet finger along the seems of the egg rolls to seal them closed.
6. Place the egg rolls into the oil and fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve immediately with a ranch dipping sauce.
These loaded potato egg rolls are insanely good. We couldn't get enough of a hand held version of one of our favorite side dishes! This is such a great way to use up those leftover holiday mashed potatoes!