Creamy Sour Cream + Chive Mashed Potatoes
Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes are jam-packed with chive and garlic flavors. This delicious, creamy mashed potato recipe is great for holiday meals!
Hey, y'all! It's been awhile since I've shared a side dish recipe, which is nuts considering how much I love playing around with new side dish recipes. I swear side dishes make the meal! Dishes like Maple Whipped Sweet Potatoes, Autumn Harvest Vegetables, Crispy Brussels Sprouts Salad and Jacked Up Asparagus can elevate a meal to a whole new level.
I have a few rules when it comes to making side dishes (or any meal really!). They have to be:
1. Quick 2. Easy 3. Full of flavor
Seems simple enough, right?
These delicious creamy sour cream & chive mashed potatoes definitely fit the bill for a quick, easy and flavorful side dish! They are filled with delicious garlic and chive flavors and will literally melt in your mouth.
Growing up, my mom assigned special tasks for each of us kids to complete to help out with holiday meals. We were in charge of setting the table, preparing the iced water, and making a cheese, meat and cracker platter. My other job was to make the mashed potatoes. Over the years, I've played around with a few ideas for creating the perfect holiday potatoes. I've tried skin on vs. skin off, milk vs. cream cheese, sour cream vs. heavy cream. I've also tried adding in different cheeses like Boursin cheese. It's been quite the process. I've created plenty of potato recipes over the years but this is definitely one of my favorite!
This recipe is perfect for a crowd- as in perfect for a holiday meal. It can be easily altered to fit your needs.
Let's dig in, shall we?
Yields: 14 1/2 cup servings Ingredients:
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (skin on) 4 oz cream cheese, softened 1 cup sour cream 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted 3 cloves garlic, whole 1/2 tsp garlic powder 4 chives (or green onions), chopped Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cut potatoes into quarters. Rinse off thoroughly (nobody likes a dirty potato). Add the potatoes and 3 whole cloves of garlic to a large pot. Add just enough cold water to cover the potatoes. Cook on stove until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Drain the potatoes and garlic cloves using a strainer.
4. Place the potatoes and garlic back in the pot. Add cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder and green onions to the pot.
5. Using a hand mixer, mash the potatoes until they are to your preferred consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place the potato mixture in a 9x9 baking dish. Drizzle the top with melted butter and bake for 30 minutes.
These potatoes paired perfectly with my tender ranch flavored cube steaks! They also taste incredible with turkey or chicken dishes.
Be sure to save this pin for later! You're going to be craving these deliciously creamy sour cream and chive mashed potatoes!
Use the #mandmcooks if you make these yummy potatoes so we can see how they turned out!