Cheesy Garlic Spaghetti Squash
Step up your Meatless Monday game with this absolutely incredible, Cheesy Garlic Spaghetti Squash recipe!
Hey, y'all! We hopped on the Meatless Monday bandwagon awhile back and I have to tell you, I am so glad that we did. We have been chowing down on some seriously delicious vegetarian dishes! One of my favorite foods to work with for Meatless Mondays is spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is super versatile! We use it to create dishes such as pad thai, but can also take it in other directions southwestern, Asian, and of course, Italian.
What is spaghetti squash?
Spaghetti squash is a delicious squash that when cooked, the insides create ribbons or strands that resemble spaghetti. It can be cooked in a variety of ways including baking, boiling, steaming, and even microwaving. It is often used as a substitute for pasta.
Is spaghetti squash keto friendly?
Spaghetti squash is very low carb, but like many foods, it is not totally carb-free. 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash contains roughly 20 calories and 5 g of carbs. So while it fits in the keto diet, you still need to watch your portion size!
If you have never tried spaghetti squash, you're missing out. The squash itself takes on all of the flavors of the ingredients you're cooking with, so you'll like it even if you don't typically like squash.
Roasting spaghetti squash is a breeze. You simply cut in half long ways (from stem to tail) and remove the seeds. Next, drizzle olive oil on the inside of the squash and season it with salt and pepper. Stick it in the oven, cut side down, for 35 - 45 minutes on 375 degrees.
From there, you can do all kinds of things with the squash. One of my favorite ways to make spaghetti squash is to combine it with a delicious garlic cheese sauce. If macaroni and cheese and creamy alfredo got together and made a baby, it would be this incredible Cheesy Garlic Spaghetti Squash. This stuff is crazy good. Like... I may have even licked the plate the last time we made this.
But it's okay.
Since we've substituted a veggie for the pasta, feel free to lick away!
Gah! isn't it glorious? I mean, you can clearly see why I licked the plate like it was a freaking lollipop... right? Right?
Ingredients: 1 spaghetti squash 2 tbsp butter 4 cloves garlic, minced 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup half and half 1/2 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp dried thyme 1 cup mozzarella cheese 1/2 cup Italian 5 cheese blend 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese Olive oil Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
2. Cut the squash in half, lengthwise from stem to tail. Scrape out the seeds. Drizzle olive oil on top of the cut portion of the squash. Season with salt, and pepper.
3. Place squash, cut-side down onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast in the oven until tender, about 35-45 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let rest until cool enough to handle. Using a fork, scrape the flesh to create long "spaghetti" strands.
5. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in flour. Continue to whisk for about 1 minute.
6. Gradually whisk in milk, half and half, oregano and thyme. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add more milk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Stir in spaghetti squash. Serve immediately.
Use #mandmcooks on social media so I can see how your dish turned out!