Rice Krispie Pumpkins
These super simple Rice Krispie Pumpkins are the perfect treat for a crisp fall day.
Hey, y'all! One of my favorite treats as a kid was Rice Krispie Treats. I used to love it when my mom whipped us up a batch of marshmallow goodness! It's crazy how simple this delicious little treat is. I mean...you simply meltdown some marshmallows with some butter and stir in some Rice Krispies. But man, oh man, are these little guys great!
I thought it would be fun to make a festive version for fall so I turned then into pumpkins (so basic, I know)! These Rice Krispie Treat pumpkins are totally adorable.
I will tell you, that you're going to get a little messy with this project. You've been forewarned. You'll have to mold the cereal treats into pumpkins using your hands which can be disastrous. That marshmallow and cereal mixture will form globs of goodness all over your hands if you're careful. The trick to forming the ball is keep your hands coated with vegetable oil. Simply fill a small bowl with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and dip your hands in it periodically. Rub it all over your hands like your putting on lotion or washing your hands with soap.
To create this recipe, you can follow your favorite Rice Krispie Treat recipe or use my recipe below. Just be sure you add in a couple of drops of food coloring into the marshmallow mixture before you add in the cereal. A couple of drops of red and double the amount of yellow should do the trick, you can always add more if you want your pumpkins to turn out a little darker. Try using 6 drops of red and 12 drops of yellow first and go from there.
Once you roll the balls out, place them on parchment paper. Gently press a Mini Rolo into the top of each pumpkin to create the stem. You could also use a Tootsie Roll! Add a green M&M to each pumpkin to create a leaf and you have yourself a super festive, and totally adorable fall pumpkin!
1 bag of large marshmallows
Red & Yellow Food Coloring
6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
Mini Rollos or Tootsie Rolls
1/4 - 1/2 cup vegetable oil (to coat your hands)
1. Melt butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
2. Remove the marshmallow mixture from the heat. Add several drops of red food coloring and double the amount of yellow food coloring. I used about 6 red and 12 yellow. Mix well.
3. Add the cereal and stir until well combined.
4. Liberally coat both sides of your hands with vegetable oil. Roll the Rice Krispie mixture into small balls and set aside on parchment paper. Repeat process until the cereal mixture is gone.
5. Gently press a Mini Rollo or Tootsie Roll into the top of each pumpkin. Add a green M&M next to the candy to form a leaf.
6. Allow to cool before serving.