Low-Carb Enchilada Casserole
It turns out you don't need tortillas to enjoy the scrumptious taste of enchiladas! This Low-Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe is perfect for the whole family even you keto fanatics! Head over to the Keto-Friendly section of the blog to check out all of the other great low-carb recipes!
Hey, y'all! I've learned one major lesson since I started this whole low-carb half-assed keto endeavor- don't deny yourself of the foods you want! It sounds like a no-brainer but when people jump on the Keto-train they often deny themselves their favorite foods. I have three favorite foods (that's allowed, right?) pizza, burgers, and anything Mexican.
Rather than say goodbye to my favorite foods, I've simply altered them so they fit my new dietary needs. For instance, instead of chowing down on tacos I may make a batch of Taco Soup, Cheesy Mexican Ground Beef Bake or Taco Meatballs. I'll eat my burger without a bun and I have created a delicious Low-Carb Pizza Casserole that satisfies all of my pizza cravings.
I'm here to tell you, diets don't have to suck!
This dish is another fantastic alternative for those who are watching their carbs. This Low-Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole is full of all of the delicious enchilada flavors minus the tortilla. The recipe is essentially foolproof and comes together really easily.
Short Cut: I always have a couple of pounds of my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken handy in the freezer. If you don't have shredded chicken already on hand, you can always use a rotisserie chicken!
What kind of toppings can I add to my casserole?
Avocados Guacamole Green Onions Lettuce Tomato Sour Cream Olives Cilantro Lime Wedges
What should I serve with Low-Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or 1 lb Instant Pot Shredded Chicken (defrosted) Salt & Pepper 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce 1 cup fine crumbled queso fresco (you can also use feta) 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped 1 cup + 1 cup shredded cheddar, divided
Note: If you're using the shortcut listed above, skip steps 2 and 3.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Trim chicken breasts of excess fat. Salt and pepper the chicken. Add the chicken to a medium-size saucepan and cover with the enchilada sauce. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat. Flip the chicken over and cook for additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan. Reserve the sauce. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
4. Return the shredded chicken to the sauce. Add queso fresco, chopped chiles, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
5. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray ensuring to get the bottom and the sides. Evenly spread 1 cup of shredded cheese on the bottom of the dish. Add the chicken mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the foil and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has been completely melted.
7. Serve with your favorite toppings.
**This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience**
Be sure to save this pin for later! Give me a like on Facebook or follow me on Twitter for more delicious recipes. You can also subscribe to the blog to have the recipes delivered straight to your inbox. See you next time!
Use #mandmcooks on social media so I can see how your dish turned out!
I’m sharing this amazing family meal over on a few of my favorite weekly link parties. Click the links below to join us for all the fun!
Meal Plan Monday
Posted Updated: 3/10/19