Chicken Cheesesteak Baked Ziti
This 30-minute meal is guaranteed to become a family favorite! All of the chicken cheesesteak flavors you love are mixed into a cheesy chicken and pasta dish that is out of control good!
Hey, y'all! Okay, so I'm going to take a break from posting low-carb recipes to share this absolutely fabulous, crazy delicious Chicken Cheesesteak Baked Ziti. This, my friends, is the ultimate comfort food. This dish is not only scrumptious but it is also a quick and easy dish to create.
I have been dreaming about this dish since my last cheat day and I cannot wait to make it again! I am absolutely hooked on this stuff.
8 ounces dry ziti or rigatoni pasta 2 tbsp + 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion 1 cup thinly sliced red pepper 1 cup thinly sliced green pepper 1 tsp ground pepper and 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp red wine vinegar 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin 1 tbsp Italian seasoning 4 tbsp all-purpose flour 2 cups whole milk 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese (OR pre-grated Italian cheese blend) 6 slices provolone cheese Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dented. Strain the water through a strainer and put it into a large mixing bowl.
2. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 tbsp butter and then add onion, red pepper, green pepper and a bit of salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables until they are golden brown, about 10 minutes. You may need to add water to keep the veggies from sticking to the skillet.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the red wine vinegar.
4. Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a 13x9 casserole with nonstick spray. Add the peppers and pasta into the casserole.
5. In the same large skillet, add olive oil and turn the heat to medium-high. Season the chicken breasts with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Saute the sliced chicken for about 8-10 minutes or until it is no longer pink on the inside. Place the chicken into the casserole dish.
6. Place a medium saucepan (or the pan you used to cook the pasta) over medium heat. Melt 4 tbsp butter and then whisk in the flour. Keep whisking for about a minute or 2. Gradually add the milk, frequently whisk the mixture so the mixture doesn't clump.
7. After about 5 minutes the sauce should thicken, then add the shredded provolone. Keep stirring, and season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and pour the sauce over the chicken, peppers, onions, and pasta. Toss to make sure everything is well combined.
8. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and veggie mixture. Stir to combine. Top the mixture with provolone slices. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese becomes a golden brown.
Be sure to save this yummy pin for later! Give me a like on Facebook or follow me on Instagram and Twitter for more delicious, easy to make recipes. You can also subscribe to the blog to have the recipes delivered straight to your inbox. See you next time!
**This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience**
Use #mandmcooks on social media so I can see how your dish turns out