Creating goals can be frustrating, especially when we don't achieve them. Learn how to successfully create attainable goals in just 5 simple steps.
Hey, y'all! Happy New Year and all that jazz! It is inevitable around this time of year, we all start thinking about ways we can make the new year more memorable or better than the last. Sadly, the fact of the matter is most of us are too stuck in our routines to break old habits and actually achieve the goals that we set for ourselves.
Think about it, how many times have you heard someone say, "I want to lose weight"? The way I see it, there are three types of people. Type 1 will say that they want to lose weight and then never do anything about it. Type 2 will seem pretty convincing at first- they'll eat healthy for a couple of days and perhaps even join a local gym but then they'll lose sight of their goal and fall back into their old habits. And then there is Type 3 who will not only join a gym and eat healthily but somehow manage to maintain their new lifestyle and start shedding pounds.
So how can you become a Type 3 person?
1. Establish a SMART Goal- Rather than say "I want to lose weight", rephrase this goal using the SMART formula. SMART- Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time specific.
"I will lose 10 pounds by December 25th. I will do this by eating healthy and exercising regularly."
2. Write Your Goal Down- Record your goal(s) somewhere visible. I like to write mine down in my planner which is a tool that I use daily. You could also put it on a sticky note on your computer's desktop, make it the background on your phone or jot it down on a piece of paper and hang it on the fridge or mirror. Just make sure it is somewhere visible! Seeing the goal written down will help remind you of your ambitions.
3. Hold Yourself Accountable- Chances are, the only person who will be disappointed if you don't meet your goal is yourself. If you aren't on track to meet your goal, figure out why and make the changes necessary for you to be successful. Maintain your focus. YOU CAN DO THIS!
4. Reward Yourself- Reward yourself along the way. Rewarding yourself will reinforce the positive actions you've taken and encourage you to keep going.
5. Create a Vision Board- Vision boards are another excellent way to remind yourself about of your goals. What inspires you? What is your ultimate goal? Find images that represent your goal and place them on a Vision Board.
Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible. - Tony Robbins
Here is a look at my goals for 2018.
1. I will triple by page views by December 25th. I will do this by creating engaging posts, marketing via social media and establishing relationships with my readers and bloggers in my niche.
2. I will earn $5000 by December 25th through sponsored posts, affiliate sales, and sales.
3. I will increase my mailing list by 300 people by December 25th by hosting giveaways and creating opt-ins.
4. I will increase my social media following by 100% by December 25th by marketing my blog in various groups and engaging with others in my niche.
What are your goals for 2018? I'd love to hear them! Drop your goals in the comments below.
Be sure to follow me on Facebook for more tips and tricks for becoming a better version of yourself. See you next time!