Join me as I map out 5 Awesome Things to Do on Little French Key, a private island off of the coast of Honduras! Voted the #1 attraction in Roatan by TripAdvisor!
Hey, y’all! I’m back from my favorite corner of the Caribbean! Last week, my family visited the island of Roatan, a barrier island off of the coast of Honduras. Roatan was once known as a haven for pirates but has long since been taken over by divers and snorkelers. Nearly the entire island is surrounded by an incredible coral reef full of vibrantly colored tropical fish, lobster, sea urchins and other sea creatures. The island itself is covered with white-sand beaches, rolling hills and the friendliest people you’ll ever encounter.
This was our 5th trip to the island of Honduras. Each time I fall more and more in love with this incredible little island. During my last two visits, we’ve ventured off to a small island called Little French Key (or as we affectionately call it, LFK). LFK is a small private island off the coast of another island, off the coast of a developing country… does that sound remote enough for you? Many islands have been called “paradise” in the past, however, I assure you that LFK puts all of those islands to shame. If your idea of paradise is a raked white sand beach covered with gorgeous palm trees, palm frond huts, and barely any other people around, LFK is perfect for you.
Little French Key has countless activities for visitors to enjoy so it is no wonder that it has been rated as the #1 Attraction in Roatan by TripAdvisor. They offer everything from massages, manicures, and pedicures, guided snorkeling expeditions, paddleboarding, a zoo filled with rescued animals, restaurants, bars, etc. This place seriously has it all!
Here are 5 Awesome Things to Do in Little French Key:
1. Paddleboarding & Kayaking- Paddleboarding and kayaking are two of the trendiest water sports right now. LFK is the perfect place to try your hand at both. The island features gorgeous coves surrounded by rock jetties that prevent the waves from coming in making the water a nice, smooth surface perfect for beginners.
2. Zoo- The owners of LFK have rescued many animals from various circuses. These animals have been given a safe and healthy home with the medical care that they need. Be sure to stop by and say hello to the lions, tigers, jaguars, monkeys, and birds that have been rescued! If you’re lucky, you may even be able to hold one of these precious animals.
3. Relax- I don’t know about you, but when I go on vacation, I love just being able to relax. Here you can soak up some rays on one of the comfortable beach chairs or relax under the shade of a palm tree. There are countless hammocks, swings and even a platform full of beds where you can enjoy the picturesque scenery while getting a little R&R.
4. Enjoy a Monkey Lala- This super fun drink is a signature on the island of Roatan. It is a delicious combination of vodka, Kahlua liqueur, and cream. This drink is heavenly! The bartenders here also make a mean margarita and another superb signature drink called The Tornado.
5. Snorkeling- One of my favorite thing to do in the islands is break out my snorkeling gear and check out what's happening in the deep blue sea. Honduras is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world, second only to the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) in Australia. In fact, it is actually home to the largest living barrier reef in the world as much of the GBR has died. LFK offers a guided snorkeling tour that takes you to an underwater park known as Mayatlantis. Here, you can swing amongst replicas of ancient Maya ruins, which is pretty stinking cool if you ask me.
If guided tours aren't your thing, you can also snorkel in the coves. You won't believe how much petrified coral is right under your feet! You may also see fish, lobsters, sea urchins, and more!
Little French Key is truly heaven on Earth! If you visit Roatan aka Mahogany Bay on a cruise, be sure to look into visiting this incredible private island. The LFK crew will even meet you at the dock and transport you to paradise!
There are also direct flights from Houston, Atlanta, and New York to Roatan. From Roatan, you’ll take a super quick (less than 5 minutes!) ferry ride from the mainland to Little French Key aka Heaven on Earth. Little French Key offers hotel accommodations right on the island, making it easy to wake up and have your toes in the sand in just minutes!
Be sure to give me a like on Facebook or follow me on Instagram and Twitter for more travel inspiration. See you next time!